Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The Enchanted Feast Begins

Music, you sweet companion, you indescribable and incomparable beauty, you beautiful proof of something sacred in man, come closer, ever closer, digest me and leave me complete at the end of my days.

I suppose if I really believe in such a completeness, I have a lot of composing and a lot of listening to do.  In all likelihood, I will find myself on my deathbed yearning for more life and for more music.  And that’s the beauty of music: it is infinite.  Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.  Just when you think you’ve heard it all or composed all you have in you, you’ll round a corner and stand before some beautiful paradise you never considered or perhaps even one you’ve visited before but weren’t then prepared to appreciate.  Rejoice each of these times and let them be many!

Though I’m lucky to have friends nearby with whom I can listen to and discuss records, I am regularly confronted by the desire to share music with those who are far away and have yet to arrive at any consistency in satisfying that desire.  “The Enchanted Feast” represents a simple effort to be organized in sharing music with those distant folk and, in doing so, to catalog the music I love and to celebrate new music as I discover it.  Expect everything from film music to exotica to free jazz to Japanese synthpop to musics I haven't even yet imagined.  Maybe even some field recordings of Antarctic ice sheets.

I hope it goes without saying that the links provided here are ideal with respect to their ease of sharing but less than ideal with respect to fidelity.  If you enjoy something you hear here, do yourself a favor and get a copy of the record or a higher-quality digital source.  And if it’s still in print, please support the artist!

Happy listening,
Brendan

No comments:

Post a Comment